Ductless mini-split HVAC systems are growing in popularity – and for good reason. They offer energy efficiency, versatility and convenience that you can’t find in other heating and cooling systems.
If you’re interested in mini-split installation in Medina, MN, contact the certified HVAC technicians at Ditter Cooling, Heating & Electrical for service. We’ve proudly served the northwestern Twin Cities metro area since 1946 and look forward to hearing from you, because we’re not comfortable until you are.
Request an appointment
How a Mini-Split Works
A ductless mini-split is a type of split HVAC system that consists of an outdoor condenser unit, or heat pump, and line sets that run to multiple indoor air handling units that are installed inside your home. Ductless mini-splits can provide just cooling, but when paired with a heat pump, they can offer your home heating and cooling for year-round comfort.
There are two main differences between ductless mini-split systems and traditional central HVAC systems:
- Unlike a centralized HVAC system, indoor air handling units are installed in rooms or areas of the home that need heating and cooling. Each indoor air handler comes with its own thermostat, allowing you to create temperature zones across the home. This allows you to control the temperature separately in each room for increased energy efficiency and savings.
- As their name suggests, ductless mini-splits do not use ductwork to carry conditioned air throughout homes. Instead, the individual air handlers move air directly into the spaces they’re installed in.
Benefits of Installing a Ductless Mini-Split System
Here are some of the benefits you can gain from installing a ductless system in your home:
Providing Heating and Cooling for Home Additions
Let’s say you just installed a new addition to your home, converted a porch to a sunroom or transformed part of the garage. You need heating and cooling in these spaces, but there isn’t any ductwork. Installing a ductless mini-split heat pump system in these areas can provide the heating and cooling you need without installing expensive ductwork.
Creating Temperature Zones
Some ductless systems allow you to connect up to eight indoor air handling units across your home. Creating temperature zones allows you to save money on energy bills by only heating and cooling rooms that you use. They can also cut down on family arguments that often occur at the thermostat. With a ductless mini-split system, members of your family can keep their rooms at 70 degrees at night while you can keep the difference at your own preferred setting.
Since ductless mini-splits don’t require the use of ductwork, they can be installed quickly and efficiently.
Better Indoor Air Quality
Ductwork can be magnets for accumulating dust, debris, insects and even mold that can negatively affect indoor air quality. The lack of ductwork can lead to improved indoor air quality in your home.
Ductless mini-splits are incredibly cost-effective for a couple of reasons. First, according to ENERGY STAR®, ducts can lose about 20 to 30% of conditioned air through leaks and flaws as a result of poor installation, causing your HVAC system to run longer to heat and cool your home while increasing energy bills. Second, having the ability to control the temperature in various areas of your home will prevent you from heating and cooling rooms that are rarely used.
Signs Your Ductless Mini-Split Is Starting to Fail
Although ductless mini-splits are incredibly reliable, like all appliances, they will eventually need to be replaced. Well-maintained ductless mini-split systems last about 15-20 years. Some signs your system might need to be replaced include:
- Frequent repairs. Although a repair here and there is normal for any HVAC system; if you’re spending hundreds, or thousands, of dollars a year on repairs, consider replacing the system. A new, efficient ductless mini-split system will save you energy and repair costs.
- Inefficiency. If your ductless mini-split system is struggling to provide efficient heating and cooling, it’s likely to be due to wear and tear from old age. Inefficient systems struggle to provide even cooling and heating across your entire home.
- Rising energy bills. If your monthly energy bills have risen significantly compared to this time last year, this is also a sign your ductless mini-split may need to be replaced.
Contact Ditter for Mini-Split Installation
For more than 75 years, Ditter Cooling, Heating & Electrical has been a name to trust in the heating and cooling industry. We have a reputation for fast, reliable and professional HVAC service in Medina, MN, and the western Twin Cities. Contact Ditter today to learn more about a ductless mini-split system.